Friday, January 15, 2010

I guess I've been a bit of a blogger lately.
There has been a lot going on...and I feel like writing about it.
First off, I have noticed something. I've noticed that in a lot of Christian culture, we do this thing. "Oh, we need to learn to hear God." or, "Oh, we've been so sinful." or, "Ohhhh, that we would seek His face."
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with seeing the need for improvement in our walks with God...that's totally good. Seriously. And maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of a "prophetic worship song" called "We have been Prodigals."
Maybe I'm not looking at the big picture, and maybe there is stuff going on that I don't know about behind that song, but I am pretty sure that a lot of people aren't as bad as they think. Maybe it's comparison syndrome. I don't know--but I sure do that a lot. "Man, this guy is so full of the Word. I need to get into the Word." Or, "Oh man, that guy's new song is totally what God wants to say right now. I need to seek God and write a song like that." Maybe, though, God wanted THAT guy to write that song. And God always wants us to grow in our knowledge of His word, but I think that having an "I-need-to-be-as-much-as-this-person" kind of attitude is the wrong one.
I have come to the realization (or well, God has shown me, along with my church, we're learning this as a family) that our approach, if we want to be successful in understanding what the Bible has to say, has to be that of a son/daughter. We are ALREADY loved, affirmed, accepted, supported by family, all that stuff that our human souls so desperately need, that's ALREADY provided. I lost my train of thought, time for bed....

No comments: