Sunday, January 11, 2009

childlike faith.

Today I got to work with kids at church. I love kids, kids are really sweet and innocent. Most of them.
Like Carlyn, she's this gorgeous little girl (don't think I'm creepy, I'm not) but she's just so doggone cute and she has this innocent look and air about her.
and Gabe, he's this kid with one of the highest pitched voices I've ever heard in a guy, but I know that this kid is gonna grow up into someone awesome, he'll probably be really romantic and in love with his wife one day.
Whenever I think about kids I think about Jesus. I think about the old song,
"Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world."
In worship I was thinking about how nervous I was to help out with children's ministry today and I remembered the verse where Jesus said that we HAVE to enter His kingdom as a little child.

but what I was looking for was Matthew 18:2-5 (the Message)
For an answer Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, and said, "I'm telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you're not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom. What's more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it's the same as receiving me.

I remember during my faith crisis I wondered why faith didn't seem simple anymore. I quoted this verse over and over but it didn't help.
But really, it's not only necessary to become humble like a child in order to enter God's kingdom and be saved, but it's also very very necessary to REMAIN as a child. I don't mean a child as in you are the son or daughter of someone, I mean child as in you are spiritually five years old.
We have to understand that Jesus' blood makes us innocent. We're innocent. That doesn't mean we go out and sin because we can and He sees us as innocent, that means that we're sorry.
Like I said, I'm thinking about kids.

Think about when a kid disobeys. When a parent disciplines them, they are so sorry, and their parents are sad that they have to punish them, but usually the child learns. The Bible says that God loves those whom He chastises.

Too often these days we get caught up in becoming mature but that's not the point. The point of Christianity is to know and love God. It's simple, really. Stay humble, my friend. Stay humble, stay Micah 6:8.

No comments: