Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fame.

Romans 11:33
Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments,
and his paths beyond tracing out!

This post isn't about a new way to talk about God, just a new way to think about and maybe worship Him.
It would be a new way to witness, but it's humanly incomprehensible.

I was in the bathroom cleaning today and I began to think about the fame, glory, and renown of God. I was thinking about that because of a Chris Tomlin book I bought that's basically all about how our lives are to show the renown of Christ. I haven't read the book yet, so maybe these thoughts will reappear in that book.

I was thinking about how people become famous, and how most people are famous because of what they DO. And really, the more famous people are famous because of what they do. But seriously, actors, musicians, inventors, writers, presidents and other democratic leaders, etc. They all go for something and get it, and get famous for it.
And then the other type of famous are the people who are just born famous. my initial thought was royalty. Princes and kings are born famous.
This verse then came to mind:
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

That first part gets me. The heavens don't even speak, yet they declare God's glory. How? They exist. They just do. It's so hard to even understand, but man it's truth. All kinds of people find God in nature, and it's amazing to me.

But the point of that thought is that God is famous just for being God. The only reason He ever had to do anything is so that people could acknowledge His fame. In other words, He created the world so we could know Him and love Him and walk with Him. So we exist to get to know and love Him and to declare His glory. Fortunately, He does give us reason, because it's hard for us just to adore something for what it is. He saved us so that we could tell the world how great He is. He blessed us. He loves us. He gives to us. He walks with us. He's coming.
But I love this challenge:
When's the last time we worshipped God for who He is, not what He does?
Don't feel guilty, though, if you have never done that. Hey, I'm not sure if I've ever even done it. But it makes me think about how unsearchable, as the Bible says, He really is.

So here's my challenge: now that you're saved, walk with Him, and declare His glory for who He is and what He's done in your life, not what He can do. He owes us nothing. We owe Him everything. That's why He's famous.

No comments: