Friday, January 9, 2009

it's about love.

Starting off, I want to clarify the love I mean in the title. I don't like hippy love. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about a rhetoric word that you say to look good and get yourself a pass for respect. No, I've tried that.
I'm not even talking about love for each other much in this blog. But know that love for each other and unity that love & peace activists search for is not, essentially, all for all, or each other for each other. No. We're not here for us. Instead, it's all for One and One for all. We exist to love Jesus. To glorify God. That's our reason for existence.

Anyway.

Revelation 2:1-7 (The Message)
1 Write this to Ephesus, to the Angel of the church. The One with Seven Stars in his right-fist grip, striding through the golden seven-lights' circle, speaks: 2-3"I see what you've done, your hard, hard work, your refusal to quit. I know you can't stomach evil, that you weed out apostolic pretenders. I know your persistence, your courage in my cause, that you never wear out.

4-5"But you walked away from your first love—why? What's going on with you, anyway? Do you have any idea how far you've fallen? A Lucifer fall!

"Turn back! Recover your dear early love. No time to waste, for I'm well on my way to removing your light from the golden circle.

6"You do have this to your credit: You hate the Nicolaitan business. I hate it, too.

7"Are your ears awake? Listen. Listen to the Wind Words, the Spirit blowing through the churches. I'm about to call each conqueror to dinner. I'm spreading a banquet of Tree-of-Life fruit, a supper plucked from God's orchard."

Revelations chapters 2 and 3 are talking to the churches around the world about what they do and don't have going for them. For whatever reason (well, I think I do know) the one to Ephesus sticks out to me.

Because they have it all going, they really have their act together. They work hard, probably evangelize, but they don't have that love for Jesus.
That's so easy for us to do today.

We can perform miracles, we can preach the gospel, write all the songs (though, that's usually for worship, so) go to all the concerts, love everyone, but not love Jesus. Easy. Trust me, I know. That's so easy, but it's the easy way out. If Christianity was about superficiality, then it'd end up being a dog eat dog religion (and I say religion) with one guy ending up tired and they next surpassing him in how much God loves him.

no.

God wants our hearts. That's what He reeeeeally wants, more than anything. He doesn't want your empty words or your actions or even signs of commitment, He wants your commitment. It doesn't have to look or sound a certain way, you'll know it when you have it. And God wants it from you. I encourage you to ask God what that looks like for you. Ask God to remove what needs to be removed. And love Him.

No comments: